Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Balancing Yourself in the New School Year

Balancing your life can be hard, especially when school comes around. Even the summer can be stressful despite our wishful desires for three months of stress-free fun. I made the mistake of getting a part-time job that I was not ready for as well as dual-enrolling with summer classes. However, despite my load of responsibilities, I managed to have fun this summer, and I plan to do the same during the school year by balancing myself.

There's a reason why tightrope walking is so impressive. Balancing is almost impossible whether spiritually or physically 40 feet in the air. Maybe we marvel at an acrobat's poise because we can't find it in ourselves. I'm going to make a joke here but I want you to take it seriously as well as lightheartedly. Sometimes, in order to balance, we have to do what the tightrope walker does before they step out: pray. We have to take the advice of the skydiving instructor from the Helicopter episode of Drake and Josh. I really hope most of you get the reference. In the episode, he tells Drake step by step how to skydive:

"First you gotta Squat, then you gotta Pray. Leap, then Aaaahhh! Then Touchdown." 
Sometimes tackling on a stack of homework and a college essay while worrying about your relationship and that swim meet on Thursday will feel as stressful as jumping out if a plane. Trust me, though. If you just Squat and Pray, the Leaping and Aaahh-ing will result in a peaceful Touchdown.

We frequently get caught up in our busy lives that we forget to stop and thank God. Sometimes you can't think of anything to be thankful for because everything is so stressful! However, being thankful is the best way to calm your soul and deal with stress.

Prayer is the only fool-proof way to deal with stress. Even if your problems don't go away, you will always benefit from extra time with God. Spend some time praying a rosary, going to adoration, or quietly reading the bible. These can be great study breaks that both ease your mind and enrich your spiritual life. I highly recommend perpetual adoration. If your parish has an adoration chapel, make use of it. Adoration is a great experience. Sitting silently with Christ, just being in His presence, can help ease your heart.

Some problems dont have a due date, however. People don't give teenagers enough credit. There is a lot going on in our lives besides homework, relationships, and sports. It seems like there is always one thing that brings us down during our day. I know, personally, there is always one thing I am worried about, and no matter where I am or what I am doing, I am thinking about it. I'm sure some of you feel the same way. However, St. Paul writes to us that a "thorn in the skin" can actually be a blessing.
"Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:8-10
This is one of my favorite passages, and I reference it a lot. Paul talks about how his thorn has kept him humble and, in the end, more thankful. Our thorns can do the same for us. We just have to recognize what they are. 

As you enter this new year, whether as a new high school or college student, or even returning, remember that sometimes stress can be a blessing, and can bring us closer to Christ. Don't worry about anything. Jesus told the apostles some reassuring advice.

Awwwwwwwwww!!!!
"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?"  Matthew 6:25-27
God takes care of the birds and everything else on earth. They don't worry about anything because they know they will be provided for. Jesus makes the point that you are more important than the birds, so God will always provide for you as well. After all, worry doesn't add an hour to your life.

I would like to leave you with a bible verse to look up on your own. Whenever I hit really hard times, this verse from the Book of Sirach (aka Ben Sira or Eccleciasticus) helps me. Please look it up and reflect on it whenever you feel you need more strength.
Sirach 2:1-6
Thank you for reading and have a blessed school year!


God Bless!
Patrick

And do your summer reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment